Sunday 13 March 2011

Chasing the gremlins - Part One

Today was the first part of sorting out the miriad of electrical gremlins on the TR7.  A run to Stoneleigh Triumph Show, after not using the car since October, highlighted the issues.

Four new tyres via blackcircle.com and tracking sorted (18mm out!) has transformed the handling.

Temp gauge went straight to high, fuel gauge tempremental, clock stopped, left indicator stayed on, right indicator did a funky pattern etc.

I had bought some spares from Robsport to keep me going which included a complete loom, a spare dash pod, a upgraded flasher relay and an extra circuit board.  I also got hold of replacement LED bulbs for the dash via Odd on the TR Drivers messageboard which should help.


The good news is that I now have a working temp gauge (wasn't the sender, although I replace this and covered myself in coolant first) after swapping the old one with the one from the spare dash.  I put the hazzard lights flasher unit (from the spare loom) onto the indicator circuit and that now works - at some point I'll upgrade with the new uprated flasher unit.  The fuel gauge is now working properly too (not sure how!).

Still to do - replace the bulbs and sort out the wiring for the stereo (every wire seems to be live!).  I've also got to clean all the contacts and check the earths before putting the dash back.  I hope to get these done on the first decent day when I'm not at work...

No comments: