Saturday 8 August 2009

Chassis Woes

Thanks to Garth who came and chopped off the old bulkhead - the bolts had seized and I managed to snap two ratchets trying to free the bolts.


The old bulkhead sold on eBay for £1.04, which was fine by me as I didn't have to mess about getting it scrapped!!!

Now the body is off the chassis, I have been able to get a proper look at how bad it is...

The rear off-side outrigger is not welded to the rest of the chassis!!! The chassis also is very holey underneath the rear diff. Garth, Tony and Phil have offered to come and help - so I may have a 'welding party' soon! Hopefully beer will be enough to get them around.

In preparation for the weld-athon, I have removed the prop shaft and the exhaust - finding out one of the exhaust brackets will need welding up before I attempt to reattach it.

I just need to get the old stubbord bolts off the chassis and then get the engine and gearbox removed and onto an engine crane (I think this may form part of the weld-athon party).

I am now considering taking everything off and starting from the ground up - I might as well now that everything is so accessible. I fancy fitting new bushes to everything and giving everything a clean and a coat of paint. I'm also looking to buy a lowering block from Rimmers for the rear end. So slow progress...but It'll soon be on the road!

We're off to Boston Car Show tomorrow - 9th. We'll be at Stafford for the TSSC family weekend next weekend Friday 14th to Sunday 16th. The 30th is Stamford Car Show and the 31st is Thoresby Park Car Show.

Then it's the Lincs TSSC weekend at Woodhall Spa on the 4th-6th of September. Busy times!

No comments: